Sunday, July 27, 2008

Memories

I suspect this is going to be a ramble. So many thoughts going thru my head on the way home. I will try to get them in order.

I am a 70 y/o widow. My husband of 40 years died in Jan. of 2000 when he was only 61 y/o.

Today I received a phone call from a long time friend (I dated him in high school.) He was the last fellow I dated before my intended came along. I say "intended" because my dad ran almost all the other fellows away and let my future husband stay. Dad DIDN'T run the last fellow away, my future just appeared and as the old saying goes, "...and that's all she wrote!" It was a done deal.

Anyway, Bill, the long time friend who called today (he and I enjoy each others company when we are in the same state, he lives in N. Calif. and I in Southern, VERY SOUTHERN, AZ) called to tell me a man (another fellow I dated in high school) died last Sunday. I looked that old "boyfriend" up on the computer and read his obituary and also remembered another fellow I dated, looked him up and found that he had died also.

After that, I decided that I didn't want to stay home for the rest of the evening. I don't believe I was indulging/muddling in sad memories, I seldom, in my whole life have ever gotten depressed. I simply decided that instead of staying home, I would go out and celebrate life. Mine. I once, after my husband died, was feeling very sorry for myself and was looking in God's word for comfort. I found comfort in the following verses in Psalms.

Psalms 116
I love the Lord, for He heard my voice; He heard my cry for mercy. Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live. The cords of death entangled me, the anguish of the grave came upon me; I was overcome by trouble and sorrow. The I called on the name of the Lord: "O Lord, save me!" The Lord is gracious and righteous; our God is full of compassion. the Lord protect THE SIMPLEHEARTED; (ME) when I was in great need, he saved me. Be at rest once more, O my soul for the Lord has been good to you. For you, O Lord, have delivered my soul from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling that I may walk before the Lord in the land of the living. NIV

Now, even though I am not a good Bible student, I know that there are different meanings to the above words that were, perhaps, not intended for MY need but, I went out tonight and CELEBRATED LIFE!

6 comments:

Musings of A Minister said...

Fantastic!Never depressed? Hard to believe--but I do!You are a constant source of encouragement.
Soldier on with joy.

Beth E. said...

I knew she was hiding in you somewhere... the introspective woman with depth and emotion! Hello, my name is Beth, it's great to meet you :)!!! I think the is the neatest thing you have ever written and I will save it! :) I want to know where you went to celebrate!!!???

Charlotte said...

I love the comment Beth made. Of course Clif's was good too. You do have a great attitude. I greatly admire it.
About me being up early, I was up when the post this morning went on my blog, but actually I did it yesterday and set it up to post this morning. That is a neat feature. To do it, click on posting options and change the date and time to when you want it to post and then click post. It won't post until the time designated. Neat/cool, huh.

kalepa ta kala said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your friends Grammy.
However, I feel proud that you're MY Grammy! You are an amazing person! Simple-hearted is defined as "sincere" and "free of deceit." You are a lovely and genuine person. And that means you celebrate life with sincerity. I kinda think that makes you a good Bible student by default.
I love and miss you bunches and bunches!!!
ps. I wanna now where you went to celebrate too :)

Down on the Farm said...

Carraba's. I don't think that is the correct spelling. It was good for me to get out, even by myself. I used to do that occasionally in Scottsdale but don't do that anymore. Much to far.

Thank each and everyone of you for your comments....love you ALL.

Brenda said...

That was a good read, Connie. You chose the right thing, celebrating life!
God bless,
Brenda :)