Sunday, July 27, 2008

For knitters only.

Becky (only the middle child, sigh.....as she is fond of saying) agreed to model this jacket and scarf/neckwarmer, VERY BREIFLY, (it was a great favor considering that it was close to 100 degrees outside). On, off, very quickly.

I thought I would make another jacket in a different color right after I finished this one because it came together so quickly but...my thumb, clear up my wrist is still suffering from over work. The jacket is made with four strands of yarn throughout. Hard work. I tend to knit much looser than everyone else, including what the pattern directions call for. This jacket called for size 17 needles so (after checking the gauge once again, I HAVE LEARNED THE HARD WAY TO ALWAYS CHECK THE GAUGE) I once again had to choose needles two sizes smaller than the pattern called for.

I was very unhappy with the collar. (If you look closely you can see the collar, it is white and lays under the scarf) It rolled from the edge toward the neck. Very unattractive. I took it out twice and finally decided to ignore the directions. I knitted the last 3-4 rows in a size 17 needle and in a garter stitch and I WON! Now it stays where it is supposed to stay. The sleeves are also too short for the size so I believe I will knit mittens or gloves in the blue with long cuffs to cover the wrist. I might even knit the jacket again when my hands are rested. It is great fun to see what I can get out of my stash and not have to go to the store or order online for the project.

The jacket continues on down below and ends in all blue just as the sleeves end in blue. It should be pretty warm for the one who enjoys receiving surprises in the mail. Hummm. I wonder who that will be?

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

Very pretty. I love the colors. I wish we had more cool weather here in our state. I love to wear sweaters but there are very few days even in the winter that I feel comfortable in them.

Beth E. said...

She looks soooo happy!