Saturday, February 23, 2008

Thankfully, still Down on the Farm


A few very short years ago I never had a problem falling asleep. I had always heard that OLD PEOPLE didn't need as much sleep as younger people. I guess it is true. I didn't get much sleep last night. This morning I got up thinking about what to tell you. Here 'tis: (I was going to discribe in detail the efforts toward trying to sleep but decided it is very boring)

I went garage sale-ing with a neighbor & then lunch before we came home. Had a lovely time. She loves to cook and ALWAYS brings something yummy when we meet. Yesterday it was chocolate & butterscotch chip cookies made with flour she made from the mesquite beans off the trees in her yard. I had thought about trying that but have never gotten around to it. It is a very big and time consuming job to get enough flour from the beans. Even with a food processor it is still time consuming. You must pick the beans off the trees when they are at just the right stage, roast them in the oven or the summers very hot sun to kill any bugs that might be in them, then grind them and sift out the parts that don't grind up fine enough. I loved the cookies and love her. She is a beautiful person, inside and out.

Then, my baby brother brought supper. (I can call it supper now if I want. My late husband preferred the word dinner for the last meal of the day, now I am going back to my roots) Supper. Carl worked for two days on Green Chili Stew and homemade salsa. It was by and afar the best Green Chili Stew I have ever eaten. Don't tell my son, he also makes that dish. Good, but not as good as Carl's.

Kala, I promised to take a picture out of YOUR bedroom window. I will attach it. To the rest of you who are reading this, it is taken ALMOST at the same angle as the sunrise of yesterday. In the distance you can see snow on the mountain.

6 comments:

Charlotte said...

Wow. You made me hungry, and I just had breakfast a short time ago. I slept later this morning than I have in ages. I must be getting younger. Ha. I was especially interested in the way the cookies were made. I never heard of that before. We usually call dinner supper. That's what we grew up calling it.
I really appreciate the offer of your doll parts, and 20 years ago - maybe even 10 - I would have said yes. Now I'm wondering what I'm going to do with the dolls that I have. I've thought about selling some of them on E-Bay but haven't yet found out how to do that. I thought about doing it with Espy but haven't checked into that either. I have a suggestion. Have you thought about taking the parts to a doll hospital and have them restored for your grand children or great grandchildren? I remember the Story Book dolls. They were very cute. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the "mess" as you call in on your blog. Should be very interesting.

Anonymous said...

I never heard of a doll hospital. I wonder how you would find it. I doubt if I would bother with that. The only one that might be enchanted with the dolls is my "China Doll", Lily and she would not be vary careful of them.

The mesquite bean cookies are made just as you make any other cookie except you use appx. 1/3 mesquite flour to 2/3 regular flour.

I am eating a muffin right now. The other day I wanted CAKE. CAKE and nothing else but CAKE, so I made a batch of simple muffins flavored with nutmeg. Very quick and very satifying.

I tried ebay and I believe I didn't look into it enough. No bids at all. I found that etsy is very easy to figure out. I was trying to find out how to aquire my money I made on the one sale I made and figured that out also.

The comment won't publish again with my blog name. Guess I will use A-non-e-moose again. Connie

Happy_Dawn said...

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/000398.html

Here is where I got the information for making the mesquite cookies. Although the article makes mesquite sound so beneficial, there is a lot of sucrose in the beans which is why they make for a good cookie additive.

Dawn :)

Happy_Dawn said...

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archives/2007/10/a_chocolate_chi.html

This is the actual recipe for the cookies, but I added only half of the rolled oats, because.....well, if there is chocolate in a cookies, who needs much else?

Dawn ;)

kalepa ta kala said...

Awwww, I missed out. Once again.
It's so exciting that you can see the snow. We had flurries out here one day, but that didn't last more than half an hour.
I'd love to see that picture you mentioned; but I suppose it's not really "my" room anymore.
Anyway, things are amazingly busy around me. I'm just rollin' with the punches these days.
So, fond adieus to you!!
Te amo mi abuelita!!

Anonymous said...

I don't know who the "tenos" in the above comment is but I clicked on the name not the warning and immediately I received a warning that my computer was under attack. Don't click on it.
Connie