Saturday, August 28, 2010

Higher Ground

I'm pressing on the upward way
New heights I'm gaining every day
Still praying as I'm onward bound
Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.

Why the words to that old song?  They are going through my head this a.m. because of my cat.  Yep,  Because of my cat.  She has found a new interest and a way to get to the highest points in my house.  Not good.  I have a very large collection of old Roseville Pottery (early 1900's)  and the pottery is sitting on all the highest points in my house.  I am making it unpleasant for her to get up there.  I have a roll of frosted sticky plastic that I have had for many years.  Cats do not like to get their feet on/in sticky places.  The first high place now has a sheet of that, sticky side up and I don't believe she will get up there too many times now.  It is also a step to the highest place where the largest pieces of Roseville sit.   Of course I am not putting the pottery up there for a while until she finds the sticky stuff So...that is why I am singing this old song.

I remember singing this song, sitting on my grand fathers lap, my mom playing the piano.  Grandpa always had a toothpick in his mouth.  He pointed to the words in the hymn book with the tooth pick so I would not lose the place in the song.

Higher ground......................until next time.


2 comments:

Musings of A Minister said...

Ah, I love that old song. I can't count the number of times I have sung it. Since I don't like cats but do like Roseville pottery I wouldn't be going to all the trouble you are. I would just get rid of the cat. But of course, I realize you and millions of others don't feel this way.

Charlotte said...

I remember your beautiful Roseville pottery collection. Hope you can keep the cat off the "higher ground".
Charlotte